Just a small update on how things are going.
I had a bad month this last month, just struggling a lot with getting started etc.
I think it is because I stopped doing my gestures and finished the Proko figure drawing fundamentals course. Then all I had really was face studies which wasn't very motivating.
Anyway I have set a few new goals for myself this month.
1. Finish the Proko Anatomy Course - This feels super fundamental to my learning. I want to be able to draw beautiful and realistic people. Anatomy problems are the first things I notice in otherwise amazing artists, I really respect artists with a strong understanding of anatomy, their work just "pops".
2. Start doing gestures again. I actually enjoy them, and they keep me motivated. I only stopped because I got out of the habit...
3. Face studies. Ick, I am sick of faces but I still have so many problems. Sigh. IDK why I love anatomy so much and yet hate anything to do with faces, maybe because I suck? haha. Anyway I really want to move toward a goal of at least one face per day.
4. Caricature studies. Much more interesting than generic form based face studies.
. I have an idea to do an equivalent of my gesture studies, with 4 minutes per image drawing as many versions of a face as I can. I want to go through Court Jones's course on Proko.com, but I will save that for after I finish the anatomy course. For now I would be happy to spend an hour a day doing 4-5minute caricature studies.
These are going to be the main areas I will focus on for now. I have a lot of other areas I want to work on (so many!!) but I think I will become overwhelmed if I do more lol. For now I want to focus on anatomy until I have at least a fundamental grasp.
Deadline. I read somewhere it is better to have deadlines because otherwise our study expands to fill the time we have. So I am setting a deadline of May 28th (one month from now!) to finish the Proko course and to move on, away from Anatomy (of course I will still maintain practice, but not as intensely).
Outside of study some interesting things (for me at least!)
- Starting Wing Chun Kung Fu next week (can't wait!)
- Just got an iPad Pro 9'7" (to draw on the go, so far I am really enjoying it, though I still prefer working at my Mac)
- Reading... Brilliance by Marcus Sakey (Really interesting, I am enjoying it)
- Also reading... Tools of Titans by Tim Ferriss (Good, but a lot of it doesn't apply to me, I feel like this is a book more for people quite advanced in the areas of fitness or investment and finance, neither of which I am. Might read the fitness section again in the future though).
- Watching... Impact Theory on youtube (the interview with Mel Robbins was the best!)